One of the reasons why people go to the dentist is to deal with bad breath. Having bad breath is not only damaging to your teeth but can also ruin your social life. There are cases where bad breath is caused by medical conditions or oral infections. In most cases, bad breath is caused by the food we eat.
Naturally, it is not teeth that give you bad breathe but bacteria that are found in our mouths. When food particles are left on your teeth and gums, bacteria multiplies and releases waste products that not only cause tooth decay and gum diseases but also make your mouth smell. This can ruin people’s mood anytime you speak. To ensure that this does not happen, it is important to know the foods that give you bad breath. Here are some of them:
- Garlic: When the body is digesting garlic, allyl methyl sulfide is released to the bloodstream. This is transferred to the lungs and air. Garlic is also released on the skin. This is the reason why it is ranked as the top food that causes bad breath.
- Onions: Onions smell great when put in food and salads. This vegetable also adds flavor in food. However, when eaten, they produce a smelly compound, halitosis, which stays in your mouth and causes bad breath. Halitosis is expelled from the body every time you exhale.
- Alcohol: Many people love alcohol because it relaxes them and is considered a social drink. When alcohol is taken, it creates an environment where bacteria can grow in the mouth. This is because alcohol makes the mouth dry and reduces saliva in the mouth. This makes bacteria multiply in the mouth causing bad breath.
- Coffee: This is the most popular drink in the world. People love coffee because of the smell and the taste. However, this drink is responsible for bad breath. Acidity and enzymes in coffee are responsible for bad breath when it mixes with saliva.
- Indian curry: This curry is included in food because it acts as an anti-bacteria agent. However, the spice usually leaves you with bad breath after eating.
- Horseradish: This is sauce that is commonly used in beef sandwiches. It is responsible for adding flavor to the sandwich. This flavor comes from isothiocyanate, which originates from plants. This compound is responsible for bad breath.
- Dairy products: These include milk, cheese and other milk products.