Many people understand the risks associated with smoking. However, smoking is still a popular habit among people. Most of the risks that people are aware of are health risks. It is important to note that smoking is not just good for your health but also for your teeth. There are numerous dental problems that are associated with smoking.
If you are trying o quit smoking, your dentist can help by showing you the effects of smoking on the general health of your teeth. Some of the effects of smoking on your teeth include:
- Smoking increases the risk of oral cancer. This disease is extremely serious and can kill if not detected early. Therefore, quitting smoking will help you minimise this risk.
- Teeth loss can be extremely frustrating. It will distort your smile and make you lose confidence. Smoking will increase the risk of the occurrence of gum disease which is the leading cause of tooth loss.
- There are several oral surgeries that will be difficult to heal if you are a smoker. This is because the healing process is slower when you are a smoker.
- Tobacco is one of the leading causes of bad breath. Having bad breath will not only ruin your social life but also make everybody around you uncomfortable. The problem with the smell of tobacco is that it is extremely difficult to get rid of it.
- Smoking will also lead to the staining of teeth. The stains that appear as a result of tobacco cannot be easily removed by regular brushing of teeth. Professional bleaching will cost you more when you have these stains.
- You can also damage your gum tissue by making them recede and exposing the roots of your teeth. This will ultimately lead to tooth sensitivity and tooth decay.
- It also leads to the building up of tartar that will require several dental cleanings to be completely removed.
There are different strategies that people use to try and stop smoking. Talking to your dentist will help you discover the strategies that you can use to try and stop this habit. This will not only help in ensuring that you maintain good health but also have great teeth. If you want a beautiful smile and above all, healthy teeth, you need to quit smoking. In addition, you need to talk to your dentist on the best way to maintain the good health of your teeth.