Oral hygiene is important if you want healthy teeth. You need to clean your teeth regularly to remove plaque and food that accumulates on them. This is one of the fundamentals of oral health. Most people brush their teeth as a routine. They do not pay attention to the procedure. There is a right way or brushing teeth and a wrong way of doing it. It is only when you brush your teeth well that you can have clean teeth, fresh breath and prevent dental conditions that might affect your teeth.
When brushing your teeth, one of the things that you need to think about is the frequency. The experts advise that you should at least brush your teeth twice in a day. This is enough to ensure that your teeth stay clean. When plaque accumulates in your teeth, it can break down your tooth enamel and lead to cavities. Plaque can also harden and form tartar on your teeth which is harder to clean. There are a few things that you have to note about brushing your teeth.
- Keeping your teeth clean is encouraged but you should not overdo it. Brushing your teeth for more than three times in a day can irritate your gums.
- When brushing your teeth, you should do it for a minimum of two minutes. Brush your teeth thoroughly including the back of your teeth and tongue.
- The brush that you use is extremely important. Choose a brush with the right bristles and length so that brushing can be easy and effective.
- You should think about your diet when brushing teeth. You are advised not to brush your teeth immediately after taking acidic foods. Wait for thirty minutes to do so. Brushing immediately will further the erosion caused by acidic foods. If you are taking foods full of sugar however, you should brush soon after taking the food.
Cleaning your teeth is just one step of ensuring that you have healthy teeth. There is more that you should do if you want a beautiful smile. Some of the things that you can do include:
- Flossing daily.
- Make sure you replace your toothbrush once every three months.
- Eating healthy- your diet plays a significant role in determining the condition of your teeth.
- See a dentist regularly for checkups- this will help in early detection of problems and a dentist will offer advice on the best way to care for your teeth.