The workplace is where most people spend the better part of the day. The long hours during the day may keep you too busy to brush your teeth and floss. There are simple things that you can do while in the office to help keep your teeth healthy and safe until you get home to brush and floss. Some offices may not have an enabling environment where you can get to the bathroom to brush after eating a meal.
- Limit your tea and coffee in take – Large quantities of tea and coffee especially when taken without cream can stain your teeth. When at the office limit the amount of these beverages that you take. Also remember to rinse your mouth after taking the tea or coffee so that you can wash away any remnants that may stain your teeth.
- Drink lots of water –You can also drink a lot of water while at work. This not only helps to wash away food debris from the teeth but also helps to keep your mouth hydrated. A dry mouth is a ripe environment that bacteria can thrive therefore it is important to stay hydrated.
- Limit sugars – In the office it is easy to rely on sugary foods to keep the energy up. However, you should limit the amount of sugary foods that you take while in the office as sugars are great for fueling the reproduction of bacteria. Substitute the sugary drinks and foods with fresh fruits and use safe sweeteners.
- Eat fruits and vegetables that clean teeth – Vegetables and fruits such as apples help to clean teeth as you bite into them. You should always have these foods at hand in the office. Options also include carrots and celery. You can eat this food last after a meal in order to help you keep your teeth clean.
- Limit use of teeth to eating – At work, you may have a shortage of tools that are readily available at home such as bottle openers. Do not use your teeth to open bottles or bite into hard objects. Instead keep such tools at a drawer in the office or in your bag so that you can protect your teeth.
There is so much that you can do to keep your teeth healthy at work. If you have ideal facilities, you can take time to brush and floss as soon as you get time to do so.